Fire in the Evening by Paul Klee
(I started this post out as a list of the most popular posts on this blog this year, and then immediately got bored with it, which I figured wasn’t a good sign of the prospects of you, dear readers, becoming bored as well. Hence, the following seven inklings/predictions/resolutions.)
- Reinvent one thing at a time. Choose your passion, your poison, your niche, your specialty, and become an expert in it as fast as you can. Then move on to your next passion. Keep learning.
- Take care of your body and your mind. Stretch both frequently. Challenge yourself as a habit.
- Develop a network of sources for inspiration, filtration, and discussion. Anything is possible, and anyone can have the right answers.
- Use collaborative tools at work to save time and avoid doubling up on tasks.
- Step away from the computer from time to time. Go out and report on something. Take pictures, shoot video, whatever you like, but get outside and experience the world first-hand. Worry about sharing it online later.
- Get some input from outside your niche. Print designer? Learn about CSS. Web designer? Hit the museum and check out some Paul Klee. Writer? Listen to This American Life.
- Don’t forget to have fun. If you’re not doing what you’re doing on purpose, think about what you’d rather be doing, and work toward doing it.
Thanks to all for a great year.